Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
Veterans Crisis Line:
Veterans in crisis, or anyone who is concerned about a veteran, should call the Veterans Crisis Line at 1-800-273-8255 and then press 1. Please share this phone number with everyone you know and ask them to save it in their mobile phones. You can also text to 838255 or chat online at Website.
Of Local Interest
Southwestern Veterans’ Center to Hold Open House:
- Oct. 25, 2019, 10 a.m.-1 p.m.- Southwestern Veterans’ Center, 7060 Highland Dr., Pittsburgh, PA (Allegheny County)- For more information about admissions at SWVC, contact the admissions coordinator at 412-665-6782- The public is invited to an open house at the Southwestern Veterans’ Center, one of six veterans homes operated by the Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (DMVA).- Read more.
Pennsylvania Soldiers’ And Sailors’ Home To Hold Open House (Erie County):
The public is invited to an open house at the Pennsylvania Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Home (PSSH) at 560 East Third St., Erie from 1-4 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 30. The PSSH is one of six veterans homes operated by the Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (DMVA). Read more.
Did You Know Sgt. Harris? His Photo Is The Last Of 3,150 Needed To Memorialize PA’s Dead From The Vietnam War:
More than 54 years ago, Matthew N. Harris Jr. was killed in Vietnam. He died on May 28, 1965, relatively early in the U.S. involvement in that war. The Philadelphia County native, an Air Force master sergeant, was about two months past his 34th birthday. Now, Harris is the subject of a photo hunt. The Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs is asking anyone who knew Harris, is related to him, was a service buddy or had any other connection, to root through their memorabilia in search of a photograph of him. Read more.
Southeastern Veterans’ Center Holding Weekly Tours For The Public (Chester County):
The Southeastern Veterans’ Center (SEVC), located at One Veterans Drive, Spring City, PA, is offering public tours at 10 a.m. each Wednesday (except Christmas Day and New Year’s Day). The SEVC is one of six veterans homes operated by the Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (DMVA). Read more.
Now Accepting Veterans Day Event Submissions:
In recognition of Veterans Day on Monday, Nov. 11, the Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs is compiling a list of Veterans Day events around the state. Community organizers statewide are encouraged to submit event information to DMVA by Oct. 28, 2019, to be included in our weekly DMVA Digest. To submit an upcoming veteran or military-oriented event being held in Pennsylvania, please email RA-VA-Newsletter@pa.gov with the following details: 1. Name of event; 2. Date of event; 3. Time of event; 4. Address of event; 5. County of event; 6. Event website; 7. Point of contact name; 8. POC phone number; 9. POC email address; and 10. Additional details/coordinating instructions (required fee to attend, pre-registration, etc.).
Around the State
Berks County Lawmaker On Hand For Announcement Of USS Harrisburg:
Pennsylvania Rep. Mark Gillen, a Republican who represents part of Berks County, has long been known as a supporter of the military and its veterans. Gillen, a founder and president of the Berks Military History Museum in Mohnton, was on hand in the Capitol Rotunda on Thursday for the U.S. Navy's announcement of its newest ship. Read more.
Central Pennsylvania Hockey Players Raise Thousands To Provide Service Dogs To Veterans:
The Central Pennsylvania Lawmen’s Hockey players have traded in their pucks for pennies — and lots of them. Coaches challenged the players to raise $200 each to collectively raise $5,000 to pay for a veteran’s service dog. It was their way of giving back and supporting their community. Read more.
How A Philadelphia Businessman’s Search For Remains Uncovered A WWII Aviator:
A WWII Army Air Corps aviator will be buried at Arlington this week with full military honors thanks to the efforts of a Philadelphia businessman who made multiple treks to the jungles of Papua New Guinea. The remains of Maj. Donn Young were originally found more than 20 years ago by Fred Hagen, a Philadelphia construction company owner who originally went looking for the remains and aircraft of his great-uncle, Maj. Bill Benn in 1995. Read more.
Lebanon VAMC And Lebanon County Courts Create First-In-Nation Guardianship Program:
Lebanon VA Medical Center (VAMC) partnered with the Lebanon County court administrator to develop a first in the nation process to improve guardianship for certain veterans. Guardianship is a legal process used when an individual is determined to be unable to care for their person or property. The courts appoint a guardian to assist an individual, known as a ward, with personal and medical needs. Read more.
Veterans' Discussion Marks 18th Anniversary Of Afghanistan War:
Less than a month after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, the United States invaded Afghanistan. A month after that, Aryanna Berringer decided to do her part for her country by enlisting in the Army. Today, she teaches Point Park University, Pittsburgh (Allegheny County) students who were born in 2001. Read more.
Across the Nation
Air Force Needs People To Give Retiring Military Dogs A Loving Home:
Retirement for a military dog doesn’t always come with a smooth ending. While most end up in their handler’s care, a decent amount become available for adoption. The Air Force is reaching out to people willing to bring one of these dogs into their home after noticing a decline in adoption. Read more.
Amtrak Passenger Discount For Military Veterans:
Veterans receive a 10 percent discount on the lowest available rail fare on most Amtrak trains. Use the Fare Finder at the beginning of your search on www.amtrak.com and select ‘Military Veteran’ for each passenger as appropriate to receive the discount. Read more.
Changes To DoD Transition Assistance Program – Here’s What You Need To Know:
In 2018, President Donald Trump signed the John S. McCain National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2019 (FY19 NDAA) into law, which significantly altered the Department of Defense Transition Assistance Program for the first time since 2011. Read more.
Games To Grunts Program Offers Free Video Game Downloads To Active-Duty Troops, Veterans:
Active-duty servicemembers and veterans can expand their Steam video game library completely free through the Games to Grunts program from a nonprofit called Operation Supply Drop. Games to Grunts is offering digital download codes for several titles, including the most recent additions to the fighting-game franchise titans Tekken 7 and SoulCalibur 6. Read more.
George W. Bush’s Portraits Of Veterans Make Washington Debut:
It begins with the eyes. Some are haunted, some are piercing, some appear to be seeking answers to an unnerving, unspoken question, and some — not many, but some — are happy, crinkled into joyous slits above broad grins. According to the artist, the former President George W. Bush, the eyes are the trickiest part of portrait painting. Website.
October Is Breast Cancer Awareness Month - Women Veterans Talk To Your Provider About Mammograms:
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, but any time is good to educate veterans on health issues that can impact them. Something as simple as getting a mammogram could save your life. Read more.
This Is How To Get Your Goodies To Troops Overseas In Time For The Holidays:
Summer is barely over, but it’s time to start thinking about the holidays, especially when it comes to getting packages overseas in time for the troops. The U.S. Postal Service just announced recommended mailing deadlines to get those goodies overseas in time for Christmas. Read more.
USDA Announces $16.2 Million To Support Socially Disadvantaged And Veteran Farmers And Ranchers:
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) announced it will issue $16.2 million in grants to provide training, outreach, and technical assistance to underserved and veteran farmers and ranchers. Read more.
VA Board Of Veterans’ Appeals Makes History With Record Breaking Year In 2019:
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Board of Veterans’ Appeals surpassed last year’s record-high output for decisions. The Board officially dispatched 95,089 decisions for veterans and their families in fiscal year 2019, the largest number of decisions in the board’s history. Read more.
This listing is offered as a resource to both Pennsylvania's veterans and businesses that seek to employ veterans. The DMVA has not investigated the positions being offered or the businesses listed, and does not warrant or guarantee either the availability or the terms and conditions of the positions listed. Please contact the employers represented in this listing directly. To have an employment opportunity listed please email: RA-VA-Newsletter@pa.gov
ABARTA Coca-Cola Is Hiring Veterans:
ABARTA Coca-Cola is currently recruiting for a few openings throughout PA and WV. ABARTA Coca-Cola is a family owned company and a division of ABARTA, a diversified third and fourth generation family business. For a list of open positions visit Website.
Department Of State Launches Online Guide To Help Workers Applying For Professional Licenses:
Acting Secretary of State Kathy Boockvar announced an innovative new processing to help Pennsylvanians know what to expect when applying for a professional license. Guides for Cosmetology, Nursing, and Osteopathic Medicine licenses are online. Additional guides for other boards and licensure types will be added over the coming months. Read more.
Governor Wolf – New Investments In Economic Development Projects Will Benefit Five PA Counties:
Governor Tom Wolf announced new low-interest loan approvals through the Pennsylvania Industrial Development Authority (PIDA) for eight businesses in five counties. The loans will enable the purchase, construction, and renovation of facilities and will help create and retain thousands of jobs across the commonwealth. Read more.
How Veterans Can Start A Health Care Career Even Without A Military Medical Background:
Lorinda Stahley’s job as an emergency room nurse in Florida is a far cry from her old military specialty of directing helicopters and keeping meticulous records from her vantage point in the flight tower as an air traffic controller. Read more.
JROTC Instructor Dallastown High School:
The Dallastown Area School District (York County) has an anticipated vacancy for a certified Junior Reserve Officers' Training Corps (JROTC) instructor. The JROTC is one of the largest character development and citzenship programs for youth in the world. The Dallastown JROTC program consistentnly ranks as one of the best programs nationwide. Minority candidates encouraged to apply. Apply.
Now Hiring – Seasonal Liquor Store Clerks:
The Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board (PLCB) is hiring seasonal liquor store clerks during the holiday season, starting now with assignments lasting through Jan. 1, 2020. Seasonal liquor store clerks assist with stocking shelves, running registers, off-loading merchandise, and other basic retail assignments. Read more.
York Tech Commercial Driving Program To Help Vets Fight Unemployment:
York County School of Technology will now offer free commercial truck driver training to veterans in an effort to address both driver shortages and underemployment among the local veteran population. Read more.
Pennsylvania CareerLink Lehigh Valley-U.S. Military Veterans Employment & Education Fair:
- Nov. 6, 2019, 2:30-4:30 p.m.- 555 Union Blvd., Allentown, PA (Lehigh County)- Point of contact: Doug Monroe at 610-841-1031 or email email@example.com - This event is open to veterans, spouses and dependents. Meet with recruiters from a variety of businesses. Learn more about resources available to you and your family.- Read more.
This listing is offered as a service to individuals and organizations to promote their veteran and military-oriented events being held in Pennsylvania. The information is taken directly from emailed submissions from requestors. DMVA is not responsible for incorrect information submitted. Please send details on events to RA-VA-Newsletter@pa.gov and include the following key pieces of information: 1. Name of event, 2. Date of event, 3. Time of event, 4. Address of event, 5. County of event, 6. Event website, 7. Point of contact name, 8. POC phone number, 9. POC email address, and 10. Additional details/coordinating instructions (fees, pre-registration, etc.)
- Oct. 17, 2019, 9-11:30 a.m.- Freedoms Foundation at Valley Forge, 1601 Valley Forge Rd., Valley Forge, PA (York County)- Please R.S.V.P. by calling 484-200-8260 or email firstname.lastname@example.org - Representative Melissa Shusterman and district staff will be present at this event to meet with attendees, provide information regarding state resources, and offer constituent services.
United States Navy Band Commodores 2019 National Tour:
- Oct. 17-Nov. 7, 2019- Seven locations throughout PA- Point of contact: Navy Band general information line, 202-433-3366 or email email@example.com - Jazz is America’s music and the U.S. Navy Band Commodores, the Navy’s premier jazz ensemble, have been performing the very best of big band jazz for the Navy and the nation for over 40 years.- Read more.
PA Military Finance Alliance – "Making Sense Of Finance":
- Oct. 19, 2019, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.- The Chapel of the Four Chaplains, the Navy Yard, 1201 Constitution Ave., Philadelphia, PA (Philadelphia County)- Register by calling 1-800-PA-BANKS or click the lin below- FREE noncommercial veteran symposium on financial education. Veterans and their families invited.- Website.
- Third Saturday of every month, the next one is Oct. 19, 2019, 10 a.m.-Noon- City Park, Lower Parking Lot, Reading, PA (Berks County)- Help veterans who gave so much for all of us! Please bring your DD214 and VA ID. Clothing, a hot meal and more will be provided.- Website.
Meet Up And Workshop For Women Veterans:
- First and third Sunday of Every Month, next one Oct., 20, 2019, 1-4 p.m.- The Banana Factory, 25 W. 3rd St., Bethlehem, PA (Lehigh County), Risbon Room, 2nd floor- Point of contact: email Jenny Pacanowski at firstname.lastname@example.org - Women Veterans of all eras and discharge status WELCOME! This is a reintegration program for women veterans/service members to utilize writing and performance to empower experiences and teach skills to thrive in their daily lives. No writing experience necessary.- Website.
Suicide Prevention Task Force Listening Tour — October Event Dates:
- Oct. 24, 2019, 5:30 p.m., Lackawanna College, 501 Vine St., Scranton, PA (Lackawanna County)- Oct. 25, 2019, 10 a.m., Cedar Crest College, Alumnae Hall Auditorium, 100 College Dr., Allentown, PA (Lehigh County)- In May 2019, the Wolf Administration announced a first-of-its-kind, statewide Suicide Prevention Task Force to develop Pennsylvania’s statewide suicide prevention plan. The public’s voice will help task force members shape a statewide suicide prevention plan, which will include recommendations, not only for state government, but for stakeholders and communities, to carry forward and implement.- Register.
Coffee And Camaraderie:
- Fourth Friday of every month, next one Oct. 25, 2019, 9 a.m.- Heisey’s Diner, 1740 PA-72, Lebanon, PA (Lebanon County)- Reserve your spot by calling 717-272-8317 or email email@example.com - Share a free cup of coffee, your stories, and friendship with other veterans of the Lebanon Valley. All veterans are welcome. Feel free to order breakfast, but at your own expense. For those in need, breakfast sponsorships are available.
Veteran Shark Tank:
- Application Deadline: Oct. 25, 2019, 5 p.m.- Open to U.S. veterans of all eras and including National Guard and Reservists and Coast Guard. Veterans looking to start or grow their business and want to participate can pitch their business at the Philadelphia regional qualifier. With a large monetary prize and valuable exposure to investors and business leaders, there will be a great deal of competition to earn one of the five finalist spots.- Website
Veteran Workforce Roundtable:
- Oct. 29, 2019, 1-2:30 p.m.- Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology, Jones Conference Room, Dining Hall, 750 E. King St., Lancaster, PA (Lancaster County)- To R.S.V.P. please email Sean Murphy at firstname.lastname@example.org - This Veteran Workforce Roundtable is hosted by Auditor General Eugene DePasuale.
Pennsylvania Soldiers’ And Sailors’ Home To Hold Open House:
- Oct. 30, 2019, 1-4 p.m.- Pennsylvania Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Home, 560 East Third St., Erie (Erie County)- For more information about admissions at PSSH, contact the admissions coordinator at 814-878-4939- The public is invited to an open house at the Pennsylvania Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Home, one of six veterans homes operated by the Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (DMVA).- Read more.
PIA School For Aviation Maintenance & Electronics Open House:
- Nov. 2, 2019, 11 a.m.- Pittsburgh Main Campus, 5 Allegheny County Airport, West Mifflin, PA (Allegheny County)- R.S.V.P. by calling 1-800-444-1440 or Register. - Bring family and friends to this event! You will explore the power of PIA’s programs and facilities, interact with proud PIA students and instructors, learn about the demand for aviation professionals and discover the possibilities through a PIA education.- YouTube video.
Veterans' Expo & Job Fair:
- Nov. 7, 2019, 9 a.m.-2 p.m.- Farm and Home Center, 1383 Arcadia Rd., Lancaster, PA (Lancaster County)- Point of contact: Kimberly Shaffer at 717-285-8123 or email Kshaffer@OLPEvents.com - Read more.
Veterans Breakfast Hosted By State Rep. Tom Mehaffie:
- Nov. 8, 2019, 8-10 a.m.- Lower Swatara Fire Department, 1350 Fulling Mill Rd., Middletown, PA (Dauphin County)- Seating is limited and registration is required. R.S.V.P. by calling Rep. Mehaffie's Office at 717-534-1323 by Oct. 28, 2019- Veterans and U.S. military personnel residing in the 106th District are invited to join for an appreciation breakfast and patriotic program. State-related veterans information will be distributed at this event. Worn, torn or defaced flags will be accepted at the event for proper retirement.
Veterans Benefit Expo:
- Nov. 8, 2019, 2-8 p.m., opening ceremony 1:45 p.m.- Park-East Racetrack Bldg., 3001 Street Rd., Bensalem, PA (Bucks County)- Over 50 exhibit tables and three breakfast sessions. Admission is free and the event is open to all veterans, spouses, widows and children living in the Delaware Valley.- Read more.
Give Veterans A Smile Day Free Dental Care:
- Nov. 12, 2019, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.- Community Volunteers In Medicine, 300 B Lawrence Dr., West Chester, PA (Chester County)- If interested in making an appointment, please call: Albert Landis at 610-836-5990, ext. 107- Procedures offered: cleanings, panorex, fillings, extractions, X-rays and periodontal scaling
University Of Pennsylvania Athletics Military Appreciation Football Game vs. Princeton:
- Nov. 23, 2019, 1 p.m.- 235 S. 33rd St., Philadelphia, PA (Philadelphia County)- Point of contact: Pete Freudenberger at 215-898-3620 or email email@example.com - Through the generosity of Penn Football fans and the Seats for Soldiers program complimentary tickets are available for veteran and active duty military personnel.- Get your tickets.
Southeastern Veterans’ Center Holding Weekly Tours For The Public:
- 10 a.m. each Wednesday (except Christmas Day and New Year’s Day)- Southeastern Veterans’ Center, One Veterans Drive, Spring City, PA (Chester County)- For more information about admissions at SEVC, contact the admissions coordinator at 610-948-2406- The public is encourage to stop by to take a tour, meet the staff, and experience the comradery of living with fellow veterans. The Southeastern Veterans’ Center is one of six veterans homes operated by the Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (DMVA).- Read more.