Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
VA Town Hall: Today, Sept. 12 at 4:30 at the Greensburg Community Based Outpatient Clinic
Governor Wolf Outlines Plans For Lithuania And Poland Trip To Visit PA National Guard Members, Honor Tree Of Life Victims:
Governor Tom Wolf recently outlined plans for his trip to Lithuania and Poland to visit Pennsylvania National Guard (PNG) troops, meet with country leaders, and leave remembrances of the 11 victims of the October 2018 Tree of Life antisemitic attack at two Holocaust memorial sites. He was joined by Pennsylvania's adjutant general and head of DMVA, Maj. Gen. Tony Carrelli. Read more.
Governor Wolf Thanks Pennsylvania National Guard Soldiers, Families At Deployment Ceremony:
Recently, 53 Pennsylvania National Guard (PNG) members assigned to Bravo Company and Delta Company, 2-104th General Support Aviation Battalion, 28th Expeditionary Combat Aviation Brigade, participated in a send-off ceremony in Annville (Lebanon County) as they prepare to mobilize for deployment to the Middle East as part of Operation Freedom’s Sentinel (OFS). Governor Tom Wolf and Adjutant General Tony Carrelli thanked the troops and their families. Read more.
Now Accepting Veterans Day Event Submissions:
In recognition of Veterans Day on Monday, Nov. 11, the Pennsylvania Department of Military Veterans Affairs is compiling a list of Veterans Day events around the state. Community organizers statewide are encouraged to submit event information to DMVA by October 28, 2019, to be included in our weekly DMVA Digest. To submit an upcoming veteran or military-oriented event being held in Pennsylvania, please email RA-VA-Newsletter@pa.gov with the following details: 1. Name of event; 2. Date of event; 3. Time of event; 4. Address of event; 5. County of event; 6. Event website; 7. Point of contact name; 8. POC phone number; 9. POC email address; and 10. Additional details/coordinating instructions (required fee to attend, pre-registration, etc.).
Around the State
‘Even At 102 I Can Still Do Big Things’ – Local Veteran’s Dream Of Riding Hot Air Balloon Comes True:
A 102-year-old Pittsburgh area veteran and hospice care patient just had a wild ride. Russel is a patient at Three Rivers Hospice and a U.S. Air Force recruiting veteran who has always dreamed of flying in a hot air balloon, and Don’t Stop Dreaming’, a Western Pennsylvania-based organization that fulfills the wishes of quality life services and hospice patients turned Russel’s dream into a reality. Read more.
12th Annual Motorcycle Ride In Memory of Sgt. Argonish:
Kickstands went up recently at the 12th annual Sgt. Jan Argonish Ride in Lackawanna County. Argonish served in the Pennsylvania National Guard and was killed in 2007 in Afghanistan. Each year, his family has held a motorcycle ride to raise money for wounded veterans. Watch.
Crew To Hike 70 Miles In Three Days To Raise Money For Local Veterans:
Twenty Westmoreland County employees are about to undertake the challenge of hiking 70 miles in three days to raise money for veterans. The challenge, dubbed “The Crucible” will see 20 employees across several Westmoreland County departments, as well as their friends and family, hike all 70 miles of the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail. Watch.
Penn State Ranks No. 30 In Best Colleges For Veterans:
Penn State is ranked No. 30 out of 138 national universities as a best college for veterans, with 2,857 veterans enrolled. Here’s how Penn State stacks up to its Big Ten peers in overall rankings. Read more.
Statewide Suicide Prevention Task Force Public Listening Sessions:
Recently, the Wolf Administration announced the creation of a statewide Suicide Prevention Task Force. The goal of this task force is to bring together state agencies with differing responsibilities and constituencies to inform a comprehensive, statewide suicide prevention plan. Public listening sessions will take place around the commonwealth beginning in September through November. Sessions are currently scheduled for: Read more.
VETMotorsports Outreach Seeking Participants For Events In Three PA Counties:
VETMotorsports is an award-winning, non-profit, non-clinical outreach program that honors and empowers active military, National Guard, Reserve, Gold Star parents, and veterans with service-connected injuries and their caregivers by embedding them with professional racing teams and putting them behind the wheel to race in amateur events. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Manheim, PA (Lancaster County) Schedule and Register, Poconos Racetrack, Long Pond, PA (Monroe County) Schedule and Register, Warminster, PA (Bucks County) Schedule and Register.
Vietnam Veterans Heroes Honored In Upper Darby:
On the front lawn of Garrettford Elementary School in Upper Darby (Delaware County), the mayor and the historic commission unveiled banners commemorating two soldiers who lost their lives during the Vietnam War. "Continuing the remembrance at the local level teaches these little guys what it was that these heroes left," said Mayor Thomas Micozzie. Watch.
Across the Nation
Become A Smoke-Free Veteran:
Quitting smoking is one of the best things you can do for your physical health, emotional well-being, and quality of life. Read more.
If We Want To Address The Crisis Of Veteran Suicide We Must Acknowledge Its History:
In 2018, 33-year-old American Marine veteran Justin Miller died by suicide in the parking lot of the very organization he had turned to for help. After four days in the Minneapolis Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Hospital, Miller had been released and immediately took his own life. Between October 2017 and November 2018, 18 additional suicides were recorded on VA campuses around the country. As recently as Aug. 7, 2019, another veteran took his own life in a VA parking lot. Read more.
Postal Service To Start Selling New Purple Heart Stamps On Oct. 4:
The U.S. Postal Service announced recently that a new Purple Heart Medal Forever stamp will be dedicated and will go on sale nationwide Oct. 4. A stamp dedication ceremony will be held at INDYPEX, a show for stamp collectors in Indiana. Read more.
Trail To Zero Ride Educates On Veteran Suicide, Equine Therapy:
To shed light on the epidemic of veteran suicide, BraveHearts—the nation’s leading equine rehabilitation program for veterans started its first of three Trail to Zero rides recently in northern Virginia. The 20-mile ride in each city commemorates the number of veterans lives lost on average each day. Read more.
U.S. Department Of Veterans Affairs (VA) Recognizes September As Suicide Prevention Month:
In observance of Suicide Prevention Month, VA encourages veterans, community leaders, co-workers, families and friends to #BeThere to help prevent suicide. You can #BeThere by being present, supportive and strong for those who may be going through a difficult time. Read more.
U.S. Department Of Veterans Affairs (VA) To Award More Than $30 Million In New Grants To Support Formerly Homeless Veterans:
The VA will award $30 million under the new Grant and Per Diem program on Oct. 1, to 128 organizations to provide wraparound supportive services to veterans who were previously homeless or at-risk of losing their housing. Read more.
This listing is offered as a resource to both Pennsylvania's veterans and businesses that seek to employ veterans. The DMVA has not investigated the positions being offered or the businesses listed, and does not warrant or guarantee either the availability or the terms and conditions of the positions listed. Please contact the employers represented in this listing directly. To have an employment opportunity listed please email: RA-VA-Newsletter@pa.gov
ABARTA Coca-Cola Is Hiring Veterans:
ABARTA Coca-Cola is currently recruiting for a few openings throughout PA and WV. ABARTA Coca-Cola is a family owned company and a division of ABARTA, a diversified third and fourth generation family business. For a list of open positions visit Website.
FBI Internships And Entry Level Positions For People With Disabilities:
The FBI is looking for college students and graduates from diverse backgrounds to help their mission. They seek outstanding candidates with demonstrated leadership ability in student government, as well as involvement in campus and community organizations. Apply.
Fred Beans Ford Is Hiring Veterans:
Fred Beans Ford Mechanicsburg (Cumberland County), is looking for service technicians, body shop technicians and to add a body shop estimator to the team at Fred Beans of Mechanicsburg. Fred Beans was just named as one of the Best Places to Work in Pennsylvania. If you have any questions or need assistance contact Kerri Kio at 717-766-4733 ext., 166. Apply.
Geisinger Medical Center Is Hiring A Bus Driver:
At Geisinger, excellence is achieved in many different ways – from delivering groundbreaking medical innovations to providing patients with reliable transportation during their visit. Interested candidates, please reach out to Hevyn Dimm at email@example.com or 570-689-1617. Appy.
Patriot Boot Camp Helps Veterans Grow Tech Start-Ups:
Basic Training, often called boot camp, introduces new service members to military life and customs. Boot camp “accelerates” a citizen’s transformation to a soldier, sailor, airman or marine. A Colorado-based company, Techstars Accelerator, created Patriot Boot Camp to help service members transition out of the military. Read more.
PennDOT Has Job Opportunities In The Winter Maintenance Program:
Seasonal job opportunities are available in ALL COUNTIES and run from September 2019 through April 2020. Read more.
Veterans Temple Teacher Residency:
Temple Teacher Residency is a teacher education program devoted to preparing diverse and highly-motivated individuals with strong mathematics and science subject knowledge to teach mathematics and/or science in high-need schools in the City of Philadelphia. There is an interest in working with veterans who see themselves fit in the program. Transform your love of STEM into a purposeful career! Apply to TTR today! Any questions please contact Dr. Amy Scallon at 215-204-1518 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Waste Management Is Hiring Veterans:
- Text WASTE to 51893 or call 1-877-220-5627 for more information- Waste Management is hiring many different positions throughout the state of Pennsylvania and offering competitive sign-on bonuses! Waste Management has been recognized as best employer of veterans, by G.I. Jobs Top 100 and CivilianJobs.com.- Apply.
Veterans’ Expo & Job Fair – Lebanon:
- Sept. 12, 2019, 9 a.m.-2 p.m.- Lebanon Expo Center, 80 Rocherty Rd., Lebanon, PA (Lebanon County)- Any questions please call 717-285-1350- Veterans’ Expo connects active and retired military members of all ages and their families with the benefits and resources available to them. Covering everything from home improvement, legal services, finance, retirement living and insurance. The job fair will also provide an opportunity for veterans and employers to meet face-to-face to discuss available positions. Workshops and seminars will be offered on relevant topics.- Website.
This listing is offered as a service to individuals and organizations to promote their veteran and military-oriented events being held in Pennsylvania. The information is taken directly from emailed submissions from requestors. DMVA is not responsible for incorrect information submitted. Please send details on events to RA-VA-Newsletter@pa.gov and include the following key pieces of information: 1. Name of event, 2. Date of event, 3. Time of event, 4. Address of event, 5. County of event, 6. Event website, 7. Point of contact name, 8. POC phone number, 9. POC email address, and 10. Additional details/coordinating instructions (fees, pre-registration, etc.)
Military Share/Food Bank Sign Ups In Greensburg:
- 6-8 p.m. Sept. 14, 2019, 10 a.m.-Noon- Blessed Sacrament Cathedral, 350 N. Main St., Greensburg, PA (Westmoreland County)- Questions contact Maxine at 724-289-7215- Are you a veteran or active duty service member, or a family member of either? If you live in the Greensburg area you may be eligible to receive three boxes of fresh, frozen and non-perishable food through the Military Share program. Bring your driver's license or state ID and your DD214 or active/retired military ID, VA card or VFW lifetime card. Food pick up will be Sept. 26, 6:30-7:30 p.m. at Our Lady of Grace Church, 1011 Mt. Pleasant Rd., Greensburg, PA. You MUST pre-register. No walk-ins.
- Sept. 11, 18, 25, Oct. 2 and 9, 2019, 4:30-6:30 p.m.- Bensalem Township Country Club, 2000 Brown Ave., Bensalem, PA (Bucks County)- PGA REACH Philadelphia is a 501(c)3 nonprofit founded in 2018 as the charitable arm of the Philadelphia PGA Section, one of the 41 Sections within the PGA of America. PGA REACH Philadelphia is committed to serving communities and growing the game of golf through three pillars: youth, military, and diversity & inclusion.- Register. - Website.
Book Signing Event - "Indiantown Gap History And Stories" Written By Helen Sajer:
- Sept. 12, 2019, 11:30 a.m.- 1:30 p.m.- Point of contact: SGT. Marissa L. Hershey at 717-861-8491 or email email@example.com - Communtiry Club Coffee Shop, Ft. Indiantown Gap, Annville, PA (Lebanon County)- All proceeds of book, priced at $20, will benefit PA Wounded Warriors, Inc.
Central PA Vietnam Round Table:
- Sept. 12, 2019, 7:30 p.m.- VVA, Michael J. Novosel MOH Chapter 542, 8000 Derry St., Harrisburg, PA (Dauphin County)- For additional information contact Richard Burton at 717-545-2336 or email firstname.lastname@example.org - The meeting is open to the public, and, as a volunteer organization, we pass a Vietnam veterans hat. All persons interested in the history of the Vietnam War are invited to attend. Following a brief business meeting, Doug and Debby Moore (2 speakers), from Haymarket, Virginia, will discuss their experiences in Vietnam.
Annual Community Mental Health Summit:
- Sept. 13, 2019, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.- Lebanon VA Medical Center, Building 37, 1700 S. Lincoln Ave., Lebanon, PA (Lebanon County)- Email C. Brubaker at Christine.email@example.com with any questions and/or cancellations.- Building the Bridge recognizes that veteran-centered, recovery-oriented care requires both active and ongoing cooperation between veterans, caregivers, family members, community providers and VA providers. Join for education, collaborative discussion and roundtable sessions to further develop, strengthen and sustain working relationships. Register.
Lawrence County's 9th Annual Veterans Stand Down:
- Sept. 13, 2019, Noon-3 p.m.- Cascade Park, 1928 E. Washington St., New Castle, PA (Lawrence County)- For more information please contact Jesse Putnam at 724-656-2172- Serving homeless veterans, service members, their families, community members and families in need. Free medical screenings, hygiene products, a light meal and multiple organizations with resource information and referrals will be available.
Veterans Enrollment, Information And Wellness Expo:
- Sept. 14, 2019, 11 a.m.-4 p.m.- Health Sciences Center, Montgomery County Community College, 340 DeKalb Pike, Blue Bell, PA (Montgomery County)- For more information or questions contact Audrey Hall at 610-384-7711 ext., 2831 or email Audrey.firstname.lastname@example.org - Veterans and their families are invited to learn about a variety of U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) benefits and services that you may be eligible for. You will have the opportunity to enroll for VA health care benefits on the spot. To enroll, bring a copy of your DD214, 2018 income, and out pocket medical expense totals.
Women Veterans Book Club:
- Sept. 17, 2019, Tuesday mornings at 10 a.m.- Veterans Leadership Program, 2934 Smallman St., Pittsburgh, PA (Allegheny County)- Questions or to R.S.V.P. contact Patti at 412-254-3194 or email email@example.com - Join the book club as they discuss Gizelle's Bucket List: "My Life With A Very Large Dog" by Lauren Fern Watt. You can checkout the book for FREE at the Carnegie Library.
- Sept. 18, Oct. 2, 9 and 16, 2019, 3-5 p.m.- Country Club of Harrisburg, 401 Fishing Creek Valley Rd., Harrisburg, PA (Dauphin County)- PGA REACH Philadelphia is a 501(c)3 nonprofit founded in 2018 as the charitable arm of the Philadelphia PGA Section, one of the 41 Sections within the PGA of America. PGA REACH Philadelphia is committed to serving communities and growing the game of golf through three pillars: youth, military, and diversity & inclusion.- Website. - Register.
Legal And Domestic Relations Clinic:
- Sept. 20, 2019, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.- Lebanon VA Medical Center, Building 37, 1700 S. Lincoln Ave., Lebanon, PA (Lebanon County)- For more information, please contact Carla Cyr at 717-304-1883- Clinics are presented by the PA Bar Association, Lancaster County Domestic Relations and PA Board of Probation and Parole. Veterans with legal and/or domestic relations issues in ALL counties are welcome to attend.
Motorcycle Ride And 5K Fun Run:
- Sept. 21, 2019, 9 a.m.- Schuylkill Haven Island Park, 1 Broadway, Schuylkill Haven PA (Schuylkill County)- $20 registration. Kids 5 and under free. The 5K will be followed by food and a fun festival from Noon-4 p.m.- Register in person at the Schuylkill Haven Rec Center or their Website.
Beaver County's 1st Annual Veterans Stand Down:
- Sept. 21, 2019, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.- American Legion, 415 13th St., New Brighton, PA (Beaver County)- The 1st Annual Stand Down will serve local homeless veterans as well as service members and their families. Services that hope to provide but are not limited to medical screenings, behavioral health services, job search support, housing assistance social services, haircuts, food and donations.
Equines For Freedom Informational Event:
- Sept. 21, 2019, 1 p.m.- Gary Johnson Arena on the campus of Marley’s Mission, 2150 Port Royal Rd., Clarks Summit, PA (Lackawanna County)- Point of contact: Heather Stage at 570-665-2483 or email EFF@equinesforfreedom.org - An educational presentation about equine-assisted eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) will be followed by an opportunity to meet with and speak to members of the Equines for Freedom board of directors, treatment team and some graduates of the program willing to share their experiences. The mission of Equines For Freedom is to provide equine-assisted PTSD treatment to current and former U.S. service members and first responders regardless of the source of their trauma or their characterization of service, at no charge to the service member. Equines For Freedom is a 501c3 organization.
Veteran Outreach And Suicide Prevention Program:
- Sept. 26, 2019, Noon-1 p.m.- Lancaster VET Center, 1817 Olde Homestead Lane, Suite 207, Lancaster, PA (Lancaster County)- Any questions contact Charlotte Leckow at 717-397-7461- An overview of the services offered at the Lancaster and Lebanon Veteran Centers. The option of Mental Health America's free guidance and support available to help navigate you (or a family member) through the mental health system locally. How to access local support services, as well as crisis intervention teams, who work within in our county. Bring a lunch, colleague, friend or family member. All ages welcome.
March For The Fallen:
- Sept. 28, 2019, 6 a.m. opening ceremony, 7 a.m. Start 28 mile and 14-mile marches, 7:30 a.m. start 28-mile hand cycle, 9 a.m. start 5K run/walk- Strickler Field, Ft. Indiantown Gap, Annville, PA (Lebanon County)- Point of contact: CSM Michael Chirdon, at 717-639-5580 or firstname.lastname@example.org - The March for the Fallen is an annual event at Fort Indiantown Gap that offers a wide range of choices for every experience level to enjoy and/or compete! The 14 and 28 mile Trail Races offer spectacular views and challenging terrain. Compete as an individual or in a team or just register and participate for fun. The choice is yours!- Register.
Blood Sweat Cheer Festival:
- Sept. 29, 2019, 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m.- Delaware County Veterans Memorial Association, 4599 W. Chester Pike, Newtown Square, PA (Delaware County)- Blood Sweat Cheer festival is a family-friendly event filled with fitness, live music, kids activities, great food, and a variety of local vendors. The main goal of the festival is to raise funds for the Delaware County Veterans Memorial and its educational programs. Register and attend for the chance to win an all expenses paid vacation sponsored by Apple Vacations!- Facebook page.
Veterans In The Valley Open House:
- Sept. 29, 2019, 11 a.m.-3 p.m.- Black Valley Farm, 9048 Black Valley Rd., Everett, PA (Bedford County)- Any questions contact Alana Foor at 406-599-9797 or email email@example.com - A family day celebrating Pennsylvania agriculture and craftsmanship to benefit veterans in agribusiness and the Troops To Tractors internship program. Veterans interested in a future in agriculture are invited to attend the event to learn more. Please join for food trucks, children's activities, family fun, petting zoo, live music and educational presentations.
Veterans Resource Fair:
- Sept. 29, 2019, 1-5 p.m.- Duquesne University Charles J. Dougherty Ballroom, 600 Forbes Ave., Pittsburgh, PA (Allegheny County)- For more information call 412-781-2750- Connecting local veterans to services, organizations, and their elected officials. Come meet the staff from your district office and get information on services benefiting veterans.
PUCHOG Skate Night:
- Sept. 29, 2019, 4:15 a.m.- Twin Ponds, 3904 Corey Rd, Harrisburg, PA (Dauphin County)- For more information please email John Jones at John.jones@PUCHOG.org - Players Using Competition to Help Others Grow (PUCHOG) will be hosting a Vet Skate for all veterans and active duty service members. It will be a free public skate for vets and their families. PUCHOG puts wounded veterans on the ice to play hockey as a means for physical, mental and emotional therapy. The team is always looking to add players, there is never a cost to the wounded vet and no experience is required. They have a standing team as well as a sled team.
The Wall That Heals Comes To Indiana County:
- October 10-13, 2019- Mack Park Fairgrounds, 803 Hospital Rd., Indiana, PA (Indiana County)- For more information, call the American Legion at 724-465-2326.- The Wall That Heals honors over 58,000 service members who lost their lives defending the country during the Vietnam war. The Northern Appalachian Folk Festival, Inc. and The American Legion Post 141 are proud to bring this exhibit to Indiana, Pa.- Website.