Legal Services

Limited Legal Services

By federal regulation, the Westmoreland County Domestic Relations Section is mandated to provide legal services to assist in the establishment and enforcement of support orders. Staff attorneys, who retain their professional independence as Child Support Legal Counsel, may provide such services in specific types of cases.

It is important to note that the attorneys employed as Child Support Legal Counsel act as in-house legal counsel for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania through its local Title IV-D agency, the Domestic Relations Section of the Court of Common Pleas of Westmoreland County. Consequently, the legal services provided by the Child Support Legal Counsel are solely on behalf of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the Westmoreland County Domestic Relations Section.

While our attorneys take legal action to establish or enforce child support obligations under Title IV-D of the Social Security Act, they do not represent either party in the presentation of complaints or in any proceeding designed to obtain compliance with any order of the court; and never, at any time, have an attorney-client relationship with individual plaintiffs who are the recipients of Title IV-D funds or services.

Although you are not required to hire a private attorney, you may choose to do so if you desire the detailed and personal legal advice that can be provided only by private counsel. Many attorneys within the Westmoreland Bar Association have considerable experience in family law matters. If you do not know an attorney, contact the Lawyer Referral Service at (724) 834-8490.