Current Roads & Bridges Projects
The Westmoreland County Bureau of Roads and Bridges receives Federal and State funding, including Liquid Fuels and Local Use tax revenue, every year for road and bridge improvements.
- Reconstruction of the Ligonier Street Bridge over Loyalhanna Creek in Latrobe, known as the “Brewery Bridge” started in April 2021. The bridge is currently open to traffic but with posted weight restrictions. During construction a single northbound lane is open to traffic; remain open while the southbound traffic is detoured by way of West 2nd Avenue, Garfield Road, Unity Street, and Route 981.
- Engineering is being completed for the superstructure replacement of Puckety Creek No. 5 (Lincoln Beach Road). This bridge is jointly owned with Allegheny County and both counties will share 50% of the costs. Construction is scheduled for 2022.
- Design is continuing for a truck wash building at the Public Works facility. The construction of this building is required to meet PA Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) requirements for storm water discharges. Construction is anticipated in 2022.
- Preliminary engineering is continuing for the replacement of the Fourth Street Bridge located over the Norfolk Southern Railroad in North Irwin Borough. The existing bridge is currently closed due to structural deficiencies. Final design is to start in 2021 with construction anticipated in 2023.
- Road Resurfacing Project #1, Completed June 2021: Contracted to Tresco Paving to mill and pave Slickville-Saltsburg and Story Roads. This work was postponed from 2020 after slide repair work was completed in Loyalhanna Township in October 2020.
- Road Resurfacing Project #2, anticipated for August 2021: Contracted to Tresco Paving to mill and pave United – Calumet and Calumet - Kecksburg Roads from United, through Mammoth and Kecksburg, to a point near Ankney Hill Road.
- Road Resurfacing Project #3, anticipated for September 2021: mill and pave Roads and Parking areas in Twin Lakes park. Also includes Nature Park Road off Route 30 and Industrial Park Road off George’s Station Road.
- Line Painting of all County roads to be done in 2021.