2013 Subdivision and Land Development Ordinance Update Adopted
On December 19th, 2013 the Westmoreland County Board of Commissioners adopted a new subdivision and land development ordinance. To learn more, click here.
What We Do
Urban and Regional Planning, in general, is a process by which a community defines a vision for its future growth and revitalization. Much of the day-to-day work of planners is the implementation of that vision, defined in a Comprehensive Plan.
To that end, we:
- Prepare and implement the county's comprehensive plan and complementary functional plans
- Monitor, advise, support and lobby for transportation projects to be placed on the regional Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) as a member of the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO), the Southwestern Pennsylvania Commission.
- Administer land use regulations through the County's Subdivision and Land Development Ordinance (SALDO) which is applicable to 29 of the county's 65 municipalities
- Review local plans, ordinances and developments for consistency with the Comprehensive Plan
- Develop an Integrated Water Resource Plan to address water related issues, to identify water related problems and to provide guidance on solutions
While these are the statutory requirements of the department, our role is much broader in scope.
The Department of Planning & Development has received tremendous community response to the initial phases of the Comprehensive Plan update, Reimagining Our Westmoreland. More than 2,000 community members have participated in outreach activities thus far. Press Release...
The Westmoreland County Department of Planning and Development announces a Westmoreland County Tour with comprehensive plan consultants, three upcoming community workshops, and an update on community engagement activities. Press Release...
The Westmoreland County Department of Planning and Development has received a strong response to the initial phases of the Comprehensive Plan update, Reimagining Our Westmoreland. Over 1,400 people have contributed to the process thus far. Press Release...
Reimagining Our Westmoreland will be a comprehensive strategy and policy guide for County officials, as well as provide more high level strategic guidance to local governments, industry leaders, not-for-profits, service providers, and more. Read on...